For this business idea you’ll be taking a older way of doing business and bring into the new age.
In this business what you be doing is making it easier for people who are currently sending out physical documents to have them signed and returned to them.
The new process for them would be that they would have their clients fill in a form online, sign the document online and then have those documents sent back to their office.
Tools that you’ll need (if not custom-coding):
Check out our recommended section for getting your domain name & website set up.
An example of a site using a similar process is Farewill.
Tweaks – you could alter this process to automate the processing and signing of different types of documents including:
- NDA (non-disclosure agreement) builder
- lease agreement
- mortgage documents
- financial planning documents
- permission notes
- direct debit docs for gyms etc
Idea: A service business for starting a WP site
How It Works
The service is for people wanting to start their own WordPress site but not having the technical ability to buy a domain, connect it to a hosted website and install a theme. We would offer the ability to order a website (based on a selection of themes), order the domain name and have the customer be sent:
- the WordPress login details
- their domain name details (registered in their name)
- a link to a video on how to perform the common tasks in WordPress (create blog post, change photos, add text etc)
- option to have paid ongoing support
How I’d Start This Business
- Purchase the domain name
- Purchase hosting (enough for yourself and others)
- Install WordPress and a beautiful theme
- Use Podio or Typeform to set up the customer form for ordering the service
- Set up Plasso or Typeform for the payment side (both use Stripe)
- $10 for domain name
- $25pm for hosting
- $70 for theme
- Optional Typeform subscription of $29 per month
With the success of sites like Site Builder Report (that earns over $44k per month), creating a review site using WordPress is an idea that you might want to try.
The key to building this type of product review website is to find a set of products with sufficient complexity to warrant the need for a review site.
For website builders, I looked into over 40 website builders when looking for the perfect fit. It was a tedious process and it took hours to watch the explainer videos, sign up and register, analyse the pricing and do comparisons, see what were the tiny differences, unsubscribe from the hundreds of sequence emails and end up with my final choice.
Make it easy for people and do the hard work for them.
Steps to starting this would be:
- Grab yourself a memorable domain name (it is a little harder in this space as the main keywords, project management software, are sooooo long and I generally like shorter names)
- You could use a hosted website builder but for this one, I’d recommend hosting + one-click WordPress install
- Grab a product review WordPress theme. I checked out about 12 and only liked three (including this one and this one). There is also a plugin if you already have WordPress and want to keep your theme
- Find the top project management systems over at G2Crowd, Capterra, Product Hunt or alternativeTo
- Use a tool like Excel or Podio to categorise the top project management software systems according to their main features and pricing
- Get started signing up for project management software trials
- Start writing reviews
Areas for revenue:
- Affiliate partnerships. I’d take a guess that around 30% of the PM software companies offer affiliate or partner programs. Not ideal but you could ask the other companies if they’d be willing to offer a pay-per-lead or pay-per-sale commission payment
- Ad-sponsored. As a higher cost keyword, project management could be a win in terms of placing ads on your site. Options for this include Adwords or approaching PM software companies directly and asking if they’d like to pay per month for sponsorship. Use a tool like Plasso to handle the monthly payments.
- Email. Use the site to build an email list and then upsell on courses (that you have affiliate relationships with), products etc. Ensure you’re providing a tonne of value and keep your email sending to a minimum. No spammers here.
Tweak the idea:
- Apply this idea to other top software categories to make a help desk software review website, email marketing software review site or online accounting review website.
I hope this helps!